As the video for P.CASSO’s Best in Show is being finished up; he shot over this trailer that gives a nive sneak peak. The official video drops right here later today. The same time we drop P.CASSO’s latest mixtape, Earth Tones, which is presented by the dopehouse & the AOK Collective. I’ve included the front/back cover and the linear notes for the tape after the jump…
The concept of this mixtape is really simple. Instead of trying to go with a cohesive sound like I normally would do with an album, I decided to try to cover as many different sounds as I could. Like different colors on a palette. I named every song on this tape after a different Earth Tone color. I’ve got some boom bap hip hop, a little rock, and some progressive stuff on this mixtape as well. EARTHTONES features guest spots from : FRESH DAILY, HOMEBOY SANDMAN, 8THW1, VONPEA, DONNY GOINES, MICKEY FACTZ, EMILIO ROJAS, SENOR KAOS, PETER HADAR, S.O.U.L. PURPOSE, EMILIO SPARKS, MATTY MATRIX AND DJ GET LIVE.
1. “Earth Tones” (prod. by MentPlus, cuts by DJ Get Live)- Mentplus sent me this beat and I immediately started writing to it. “Everything is Earth Tone” means that every thing is organic, everything is natural. Don’t get confused by the illusions we see everyday.
2. BROWN “Stick’Em” (Ft. Fresh Daily, prod. by KO Beatz)- This song was actually the last song I recorded for the mixtape. I desperately needed a crazy posse cut with my bro Fresh Daily and my man KO sent me this beat right in time. “You nice on the internet/ I’m hot in reality”
3. SAND “Clock Cleansers” (Ft. Homeboy Sandman, prod. by P.CASSO)- Homeboy Sandman and I are doing a project called “Dubble Dragons”. This is one of the first joints we recorded. The final version will feature REEF The Lost Cause. “If I told you the truth, then you probably wouldn’t believe me/ I can see sounds like Stevie”
4. BRONZE “Wise Up Remix” (Ft. 8thW1 and Homeboy Sandman)- This song was a very popular tune off of Homeboy Sandman’s “Pterodactyl” album. 8thW1 sent me a verse for the remix and it sounded perfect. I threw the drums through a sick Phaser to make them sound a little more spacier. “Well beyond what you dream or fathom/ I might break, ice skate/ on the rings of Saturn”
5. OLIVE “Love Letters in Binary” (Ft. Matty Matrix, prod. by KO Beatz)- This song is simply about a robot falling in love with another robot. Matty Matrix sang a crazy hook on this one. I added an effect to my voice so that I could sound more mechanical. The strings on this track sound amazing and bring it all together.
6. GREEN “Some Fun” (prod. by Doppelgangaz)- A really fun tune.
7. CREAM “Fate My Mistress” /Emilio Sparks speaks- This one is about falling in love with your own fate. However, fate is very elusive…
8. GOLD “Go For the Gusto” (prod. by Black Milk)- Always loved this Black Milk beat. Had to get some bars over it.
9. TAN “In The Jungle part 1 and 2 (Ft. VonPea, prod. by Madlib)- VonPea is one of my favorite Emcees. Madlib is one of my favorite producers.
10. BEIGE “Mt. Olympus” (Ft. Donny Goines, prod. by Soul Academy)- I’ve always loved Greek mythology. Shoutout to the homie Donny Goines for hopping on this joint with me.
11. AUBURN “Incredible AOK Remix” (Ft. Homeboy Sandman, Fresh Daily and 8thw1)
12. OCHRE “Wood Wear (snippet)” (Ft. Mickey Factz, Fresh Daily, Homeboy Sandman, Peter Hadar and S.O.U.L. Purpose)- This song was done as a promotion for Brian Wood’s clothing line.
13. DARK UMBER “Mr. Hollywood Remix” (Ft. Senor Kaos)
14. FOREST GREEN “Sound Is God” (prod. by Exile)- I love Exile’s beats. This song is very insightful. The skit that comes after it is my homie GeeQue speaking on the world and how crazy things are about to get…
15. SEPIA “Imagine” (Ft. Emilio Rojas)
16. BURGANDY “Mind Over Matter (prod. by P.CASSO)- My favorite joint on the mixtape. It’s about a forbidden romance. The Bpm was really slow (69BPM) and even though it was really dope, some of the other artists I pitched it to didn’t like it. I think my favorite aspect of this track is that it’s slow tempo feels unfamiliar for a Hip-Hop song. It’s unique. I think this song will do very well..
17. BURNT SIENNA (prod. by P.CASSO) – Originally a beat I produced for Print. It was so intricate, I felt that it could ride out on it’s own just as an instrumental.
18. PUMPKIN “D-Day” (Ft. Matty Matrix)- This is actually a Matty Matrix song featuring me. It’s about being at the edge of your life and letting the wind push you either back or forward.
Shouts to my damn self on the (2)dope artwork haha.