Despite Hopsin’s decision to step away from the mic, Funk Volume will still keep the wheels rolling without their now-former de facto leader in the driver’s seat. XXL Freshmen alum Jarren Benton, following his #BlackOctober series, will drop a new EP on January 27th, Slow Motion.
“Slow Motion is a dedication to my friend/manager, Jahmal ‘Slow Motion’ Pryor, who passed away in 2013,” explains Benton. “His death was a huge loss for me, personally and professionally. Like life, a career in music seems like such a fragile thing.”
He goes on to emphasize the importance of living in the present: “Mortality, and the death of people close to you reminds you that while you may know how far you will go, the time it may take to get there isn’t promised to you. So my approach to this project was to not just limit my self creatively to the ‘Skitzo’ Jarren, but to also ‘slow’ things down. I wanted to reflect and savor what’s happening now in these moments because, as cliché as it sounds, really all we have is what’s happening now.”
Also featuring Sy Ari Da Kid and produced by Kato, check out the first single below.
Peep the tracklisting for Slow Motion, with features from Hopsin, Dizzy Wright, Jon Connor, and more, below.
1. You Don’t Know Me (feat Hemi) produced by Kato
2. ALLADAT produced by Kato
3. W.H.W. (feat Sy Ari Da Kid) produced by Kato
4. Diamonds & Fur (feat Rock City) produced by Kato
5. Atychiphobia (feat ¡Mayday! & Hemi) produced Justin Padron
6. Hallelujah (feat Dizzy Wright & SwizZz) produced by Kato
7. Killin’ My Soul (feat Hopsin & Jon Connor) produced by M16
8. Silence (feat Sareena Dominguez) produced by Kato; Co-written by Sincerely Collins
PREVIOUS: Jon Dubb – Don’t Know f. Jarren Benton