Similar to HBO’s recent original film on blues singer Bessie Smith, NetFlix will pay an homage of their own to another of music greatest voices, Nina Simone, with a forthcoming documentary titled What Happened, Miss Simone? An original documentary, the film will also be accompanied by a soundtrack of some of her greatest songs, covered by artists such as Common, Usher and Mary J Blige.
Lauryn Hill – who recently performed a tribute concert to Simone in New York recently – is a featured contributor to the soundtrack, Nina Revisited: A Tribute To Nina Simone, covering her 1965 song “Feeling Good” for it. While the soundtrack does not arrive until July 10th, you can listen to Lauryn’s take on the song below.
What Happened, Miss Simone? will land on NetFlix on July 26th. Watch a trailer for the documentary, as well as the soundtrack’s tracklisting, down bottom.
1. Lisa Simone: Nobody’s Fault but Mine (Intro)
2. Ms. Lauryn Hill: Feeling Good
3. Ms. Lauryn Hill: I’ve Got Life
4. Ms. Lauryn Hill: Ne Me Quitte Pas
5. Jazmine Sullivan: Baltimore
6. Grace: Love Me or Leave Me
7. Usher: My Baby Just Cares For Me
8. Mary J. Blige: Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood
9. Gregory Porter: Sinnerman
10. Common & Lalah Hathaway: YG&B
11. Alice Smith: I Put a Spell On You
12. Lisa Simone: I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl
13. Ms. Lauryn Hill: Black Is the Color of My True Love’s Hair
14. Ms. Lauryn Hill: Wild Is the Wind
15. Ms. Lauryn Hill: African Mailman
16. Nina Simone: I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free