Monday would’ve been A$AP Yams’ 28th birthday. Just under two years ago, he died at 26 because of a drug overdose.
Celebrating the life of her son, Yams’ mother penned a letter telling her story of the night she found out her son died and how she has handled the grief afterward.
She acknowledged that in months before his death, Yams felt he was being squeezed out of A$AP Mob’s creative happenings, and he coped with the pressure while managing the collective with drug use, which he sought help for in a stint in rehab. Places like the drug rehab cherry hill can help addicts start afresh.
“My son was under a tremendous amount of pressure to keep the A$AP Mob collective striving together, successful and producing hit recordings,” she said in the letter. “At the same time, he told me he felt as if he was being squeezed out of the group of creative friends he had spent so much time and energy putting and keeping together.”
“He often felt uneasy in having to make the transition from a fun collective of friends, to a business partner in A$AP Worldwide, the business. In my mind, his drug use was a strategy to decompress and release.”
She went on to describe her research into codeine and how popular it is in the hip-hop community and how people often pass when they combine it with other drugs.
She closed the letter with a plea to help people suffering from drug addiction.
“To be clear, I recognize that parents, including me, should discourage drug use. But, you should also know that my son wanted to get high, not die. And because this is the case for many young people, whether we like it or not, we should do all we can do to keep them safe and alive. It’s the humane thing to do.”
Read the full letter via Noisey.