For the last year and change, 38 Spesh has been making serious moves. Even though he’s been at it for years (our first post was in 2012), the Rochester, New York emcee/producer has really found a groove.
After providing the 38 Laws of Powder in 2016, he then teamed up with Benny the Butcher for Stabbed & Shot and the legendary Kool G Rap on Son of G Rap in 2018, before spending this year dropping his 5 Shots EP and breaking down the 38 Strategies of RAW. Oh, and he also released a third compilation with his Trust Gang crew, including Che Noir, and dropped joint projects with Flee Lord and Big Ghost Ltd.
Seriously, he’s don’t a lot.
Coming off a fire verse on “Sunday School” with Benny the Butcher and Jadakiss, 38 Spesh has now put together a compilation to help celebrate the 25th anniversary of one of the best years in Hip-Hop, 1994.
Dropping October 25th, the project will feature a host of underground talent – including Fred the Godson, Planet Asia, Elcamino, Eto, Grafh, Flashius Clayton, and more – paying homage to classic tracks from the year by Nas, Biggie, Method Man, Masta Ace, Gang Starr, and others.
For the first single, and the only song he raps on for the project, 38 Spesh has called up Griselda’s own Conway and Benny the Butcher to breathe new life into Scarface‘s The Diary classic, “I Seen A Man Die.”
Press play on the 38 Spesh-laced banger and peep the tracklist below.
- RJ Payne & Che Noir, “NY State Of Mind” (Nas)
- Elcamino & Ty Farris, “Warning” (The Notorious B.I.G.)
- Fred The Godson & Rain 910, “Mass Appeal” (Gang Starr)
- Rome Streetz & Daniel Son, “Supa Star” (Group Home)
- Eto & Black Geez, “Most Beautifullest Thing In This World” (Keith Murray)
- Flee Lord & The Musalini, “Come Clean” (Jeru The Damaja)
- Rasheed Chappell & Street Justice, “Rugged Never Smooth” (M.O.P.)
- Jamal Gasol & Jai Black, “Time’s Up” (O.C.)
- Grafh & Cory Gunz, “Bring The Pain” (Method Man)
- Planet Asia & Flashius Clayton, “PLO Style” (Method Man)
- Ampichino, ReefHustle & G4 JAG, “Born To Roll” (Masta Ace Incorporated)
- Rim Da Villin & Hus Kingpin, “Stress” (Organized Konfusion)
- Benny The Butcher, Conway The Machine & 38 Spesh, “Never Seen A Man Cry” (Scarface)